You heard it right: Coke can actually help relieve an upset stomach. This remedy has existed since Coke was invented in 1886 by a pharmacist. It has since been used for upset stomach, gas issues, and diarrhea. The carbonation in Coke aids in burping and reliving the stomach pressure. Flat Coke is found to also effectively treat gastric phytobezoar, a medical condition that leads to bowel obstruction. It also can remove nausea.
It isn’t actually Coke that settles the stomach, but the Coke syrup that works the charm. In old times, a brown miracle elixir would be available in local drug stores, under the name “Cola Syrup” or “Coke Syrup”. Although local pharmacies do not sell this as an over-the-counter medication anymore, you can make coke syrup to settle your stomach quite easily at home by following these instructions:
- Grated zest of 2 medium-sized oranges
- Grated zest of 1 large lime
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp fresh grounded nutmeg
- 1 section of star anise pod, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried lavender flowers
- 2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- Pinch of vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp citric acid
- 2 cups and 2 tblsp of plain sugar
- 1 tblsp brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp caramel color
- In a large pot, boil 2 cups of water over medium heat.
- Add the zests, cinnamon, lavender, ginger, vanilla pod, nutmeg and citric acid. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix all the sugars in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, transfer the sugars in a large bowl and mix them together with a spoon. Add the food coloring to the sugars.
- Line a sieve with a cheesecloth and place it on top of the bowl with the sugars. Pour the mixture on the oven over the cloth and into the sugars.
- Stir the mixture so that the sugar dissolves through it filly.
- Jar the syrup now and place it in the refrigerator. You can app 1/4 cup of it to soda water and sip away!