A caster wheel is a wheel that has a counterbalance steering. This allows the wheel to rotate itself according to the direction it is propelled to. The rotating mount is linked with the wheel allowing the object it is attached to move anyplace you want. This makes it ideal for being placed under heavy furniture that needs to be shifted around.
Normally, wheels can be attached simply to furniture, as provided in How To Add Wheels to Furniture. Attaching caster wheels under any piece of furniture carries similar steps with a few minor adjustment. This guide will provide you with the right instructions on attaching caster wheels to furniture.
Things you will need
- Caster wheels (number according to your choice, but 4-6 are enough)
- Wood glue
- Screw driver
- Drill bits
- Scrap wood
- Turn the piece of furniture you are adding the wheels to upside down. Position it so you can begin work on it.
- Determine which type of caster wheels the furniture will need. Post caster wheels are placed on the legs of furniture. Screw-on caster wheels are screwed on the furniture bottom or base.
- If you don’t wish to damage the furniture, add a piece of scrap wood to a corner or bottom where the wheels will be attached.
- To attach the caster wheels, you will now drill holes (follow the instructions manual).
- Insert the wheels now and screw them to the holes drilled.
- Turn the furniture right side up again and it is ready to roll.