The Cotton-Eyed Joe is a popular traditional American country dance line and song since 2002. The dance is very popular in Canada and America, despite it being linked to the American South. The steps involved in this dance sequence are similar to that of line dancing.
Follow these steps to learn how to the cotton-eyed Joe dance:
- Stand straight keeping your feet a few inches apart. Now stick the right foot ahead of the left foot and tap its heel twice on the ground.
- Now take the right foot behind and tap its toe twice.
- Again, place the right foot forward, and tap the ground but this time only once with the heel.
- Again, take the right foot behind and tap the ground with the toe, but only once.
- Repeat the steps in step 3.
- Now tap the ground on your side with the right foot once.
- Now lift the right foot up to the left thigh and take it behind you, so that you cross it and touch the foot with the left hand.
- Place your foot back as in standing position.
- Lift your right foot to the left thigh in your front and touch the foot with the left hand.
- Place the foot back in standing position.
- Take 3 steps to the right and clap your hands.
- Take 3 steps to the left and clap your hands.
- Take 3 steps back and clap your hands.
- Take 3 steps forwards and clap the hands.
- Turn around in a circle in the next 6 beats. Now repeat step 4, and then continue with the next steps.
- Repeat all these steps throughout the song.