Having broad shoulders is a sign of beauty. The wide stretched shoulders complimented with a slim waist and narrow hips creates an inverted triangle body shape or a wedge-shaped body. Such a figure is flaunted by runway models and celebrities, such as Cindy Crawford, Demi Moore, Angelina Jolie, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellwegger, Teri Hatcher, Naomi Campbell, Gemma Ward, Charlize Theron, and Giselle Bundchen. But the way to carry this body properly is dressing the right way, which you can do by following this simple guide.
The inverted triangle body is a physique which can carry various looks and ensembles. But the issue is to create less emphasis on the masculine-looking shoulders and adding to the less curves you have.
- Add more volume to your hips and thighs. This will downplay your broad shoulders and so, balance your body.
- Wear dresses with ruffles, or pleats around the bottom.
- Flared cut bottom hems and wide legged jeans add to the lower body.
- Choose A-line skirts or full length skirts. You can also try Tulip, bias cut, or full circle skirts.
- Wear skirts or pants in bold textures to give more bulk around the leg area.
- Opt for skirts in horizontal stripes to make the lower body look wider. Vertical stripes will make the legs and hips look too thin.
- Wide foot trousers and culottes work excellent with broad shoulder women.
- Ensure the pants or skirts you wear have pockets and embellishments on them.
- Wear eye-catching shoes.
- Look for bright colored bottoms.
- Cargo pants, harem pants and gauches, cuffed jeans, jeans with a faded wash, and flare legged pants suit this body shape.
- Soften the shoulders with grapey and light-weight tops.
- Choose knitwear in fine gauge.
- Also, wear wide straps and collar-less shirts to draw attention away from the shoulders.
- Halter necks, V-necks, and open necklines will flatter your shoulders.
- Single breasted jackets and blazers look perfect on this body shape.
- Look for tops that accentuate the waist, like those with bandings around the waist. Also look for tops that balance the bust along with the hips.
- Opt for strapless gowns or tops.
- Use thick belts to accentuate your thin waist.
- Choose a top with vertical lines to slimmer the appearance of the upper body.
What to avoid
- Stay away from shoulder pads.
- Avoid boat necks as they make the shoulders look broader.
- Never wear a top with horizontal stripes.
- Do not wear jackets or blazers with oversized collars.
- Avoid sweaters with chunky knits.
- Never wear a top that has a bold patter or graphics on it as it has a widening effect on the shoulders.
- Stay away from tapered skirts.
- Spaghetti straps will make the shoulders look very broad.