To make furniture and heavy objects in your home mobile and easier to move, attaching wheels to them is the perfect solution. By doing so, you can move around your furniture when redecorating or cleaning the house. Adding wheels to furniture takes a few simple steps and a little time. Here is a simple DIY guide on how you can add wheels to any piece of furniture in your house.
Things you will need
- Wheels (4 to 6)
- Wood glue
- Drill bits
- Measuring tape
- Scrap wood
- Turn the piece of furniture you want to add wheels to upside down.
- Rub a sandpaper over the smooth ends of the furniture piece where the wheels will be added. Wipe the dust particles from the surface with a cloth.
- With a power drill, make holes in the legs or corners of the unit. For caster wheels, only one hold has to be made per wheel being attached. If the wheel has metal plates to it, you will need to drill four holes on one leg.
- Apply wood glue over the drilled area and attach the wheel. If you have caster wheel, you will screw in the wheels instead of gluing them on.
- Leave the furniture item for a few hours for the wheel to set in.