You may have spent hundreds of dollars on that LCD, and need to chuck it out now for a newer and better one. But did you know you can recover some of that money spent by scrapping gold in electronics out of it? Yes, there is actually gold in many electronic devices! From laptops, cameras, phones, DVD players, printers, scanners, and what not, there exists gold, silver, platinum, and copper in their internal structures. So, why not put that money in your pocket instead of the bin?
Gold is actually an integral part of many electronic devices as it is a pliable metal which is conductive, making it a useful element in various computer parts and electronics. It is profitable to extract the gold from these devices and sell it after refining it. Although this is a complicated process, with the correct knowledge and guide, you can remove that valuable gold from the electronic devices and make some cash.
Learn how to find scrap gold in electronics with the instructions below:
Things you will need
- Electronic device
- Rubber gloves
- Face shield
- Glass beaker
- Rubber apron
- Hydrogen peroxide 3%
- Muriatic acid 31%
- Methyl Hydrate
- Funnel filter
- 2 glass containers
- Stir stick
- Weight scale
- Blow torch
- Clay bowls
- Measuring cup
- Collect all the gold containing metal parts from the devices. These are the PCB and gold fingers.
- Put on the safety gear. Place the gold fingers and the circuit board in the glass container, and in the other container, mix two parts of muriatic acid and a part of hydrogen peroxide to cover the gold fingers. Let it stay for a week this way, stirring it once a day.
- Set the measuring scale to zero. This will be done when you adjust the screw on its left side.
- You will now perform the process of cupellation, in which metals are treated with a high temperature to separate them from other noble metals, like gold. You will burn the crap out until the gold comes out like a yellow bead. Follow the next step to see how this is done.
- After a week has passed, your gold flakes will be collected in the glass container from the fingers and boards. Pour out the darkened acid through a filter, so that the gold is left behind. Do not discard the acid. Take the remaining boards and fingers in a plastic tray and add some water to it. Sort out the gold parts and the cleaned parts should be removed while the un-cleaned parts should be re-dipped. Pour the water through the filter and flush out with methyl hydrate to clean it fully.
- Melt the gold flakes with the Borax Method, where borax is used to reduce the melting point of the minerals like gold. Use a burner to burn the gold and add the borax to it. Follow the next step to see how.
- Take the gold flakes, weigh them, and then heat them in the clay bowl along with the borax. A nice bead of gold will turn out. Let this cool.
- Weigh the gold bead and sell it off!
Has this article helped you? Leave your thoughts and comments below to tell us about it. If you want to Learn How To do anything specifically, let us know and we will write on the subject to guide you. Our website is designed to teach our readers about all the basics of life and answer the questions on solving problems we get tangled in at home. So get in touch with us and share your thoughts and ideas in the comment box below!