Have you ever been amazed by the patterns made on wood floors and decorations with intricate designs and details? Well, you can create those too with the help of this simple guide!
Creating patterns on wooden floors and decorations has been a part of art since the 16th century. This form of art is termed as faux marquetry. All it needs is basic knowledge of geometric shapes and painting skills to create it.
Things you will need
- Lead pencil
- Wood stain
- Masking tape
- Razor knife
- Clean the surface on which you will create your work. Remove all traces of dust on the wooden floor or furniture you will make the faux marquetry over.
- With the help of a straight edge and a lead pencil, draw a pattern on the floor of your choice. Create a pattern with straight lines if you are not very good with using a straight edge.
- Now you have to make the lines and pattern you have made permanent. To prevent the wood stain from spreading, you will use a razor knife and the straight edge.
- Prepare the floor with staining. You will color the pattern in different colors and stains. Mask each with masking tape as you move to the other. Mix the wood stains in colors of your choice and apply with a paintbrush. Use a new paintbrush for each color.
- Once dried, apply a coat of polyurethane on the stained wood. This seals the marquetry, and makes the color last for a long period of time. Apply another coat of it after the first dries.