Building a swing set in your backyard for your children is a great way to keep the family entertained outside, but it is maintaining the set that is very important. Although a swing set will last a lifetime, it will go through a lot of wear and tear due to the harsh weathers and climates, Cracked wood and breaks in it can be dangerous for the children. Therefore, the wood has to be protected and sealed for renewal and ensuring t lasts forever.
Below is a simple guide on how you can refinish a wood swing set yourself. Follow this every year or so to maintain the swing set.
Things you will need
- Wood cleaning solution
- Rubber gloves
- Paint supplies
- Putty knife
- Paint stripper
- Wood filler
- Replacement Screws, bolts and nails
- Assess the swing to see what wood it is made from. Different woods require different cover ups. For instance, redwood needs to be stained or varnished, and other woods can be painted over.
- Check all screws and nails around the swing to see if any are missing or rusty.
- With a sandpaper, rub over the areas of the swing set that are splintered to make it smooth.
- Apply wood stain (if redwood, otherwise, paint for other woods) over the swing set where it is peeling from. Apply an even coat and ensure it blends well. When staining, make sure the color is even with the rest of the wood.
- Let the paint or stain dry. Apply a coat of varnish over it to protect the paint from weather conditions.
- Unscrew any rusted screws and replace with new ones.
- With the pliers, remove the rusted swing chains and replace with new ones. Pry it open and seal the chain shut with the pliers.