Medically known as cardiomegaly, an enlarged heart is a condition in which the heart is over-functioning due to an underlying disorder. Although heart enlargement is not a serious health condition, it is important to treat the cause altering the heart’s health and requires a thorough medical checkup. Causes of an enlarged heart include high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, viral infections, and thyroid problems.
Obesity and having an unhealthy lifestyle can lead to medical conditions for patients with an enlarged heart. Some problems to begin with will include dizziness, palpitations, irregular heartbeats, breathing problems, and fluid retention.
Here are some natural cures for treating an enlarged heart:
- Alter your diet to include more vitamin B1, or thiamine, in it. This vitamin leads to proper nerve function, and a deficiency of thiamine leads to enlarged hearts and eventually, heart failure. Some foods that contain vitamin B1 are beans, spinach, cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, cereals, lean meat, lentils, nuts, and Brussels sprouts.
- Add potassium rich foods in your diet to keep a heart-healthy lifestyle. Potassium aids in regulating th
e heartbeat and the contraction of muscles. Potassium is also important for those with high blood pressure. Foods rich in potassium include: tomatoes, spinach, bananas, potatoes, and dried fruits.
- Lower your intake of sodium, as this leads to heart enlargement and breathing problems. Low-sodium foods include: milk, dried fruits, cream cheese, fresh meat, corn, and eggs.
- Decrease you intake of fat, as the blood cholesterol increases with fat. Fats lead to obesity, high cholesterol levels, and high blood pressure – all of which play a role in heart enlargement. Some fatty foods to avoid are: all fried foods, lard, butter, fast foods, and packaged foods.
- Turmeric is a natural ingredient that prevents heart failure. It increases the triglyceride levels and decreases the cholesterol levels in the body. Add a pinch of it to your meals.
- Eating raw garlic every day aids in reducing blood pressure. Eat two cloves a day, and add it to your home cooked meals.
- Drinking green tea increases the functionality of arteries. Drink at least 3 cups of green tea a day to keep the heart healthy.
- Exercise more, quit smoking, and consumption of alcohol to keep the heart healthy.