Having pets at home may be something you or your loved ones enjoy, but no one enjoys cleaning their feces. Cats are very clean pets but they do tend to urinate outside the litter box. When it comes to cat urine, the nasty odor emitted by it can linger around till steps aren’t taken to remove it. It is also important to remove the odor so that the cat doesn’t become a repeat offender, as they will return to a spot they previously urinated on.
Although a cat’s urine is not much different from other animal’s urine, the smell is strong as they cat repeatedly begins urinating in that one spot. The ammonia-like odor and stale old urine increases when the animal is older, as their kidneys are less sufficient, and due to powerful hormones that spike up.
If your cat is peeing outside the liter box, there may be a medical problem, which the doctor will solve. But for you to solve the stench problem follow these tricks:
- Always dry the urine when the cat has urinated. Use paper towels to soak up the urine.
- If the urine has dried, clean the spot with an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature’s Miracle.
- Then mix some vinegar in water and spray the infected area. With a brush then, rub over this area thoroughly.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the area as a natural cleaner and odor absorber.
- You can also mix some hydrogen peroxide and dish detergent together to form a smell remover.
- For clothing items, use apple cider vinegar to wash with laundry detergent to get rid of the feces smell.
- White vinegar should be used on linoleum and hardwood floors to remove the urine smell.