Its tough to stay in shape at any age, but after 55, it would be more difficult. This is because with each passing year, our bodies undergo changes, one of which is the slowing of the metabolic system. There are other reasons too, like the loss of muscle mass. But the weight gain after the age of 55 leads to severe health problems, which include heart diseases, osteoporosis, cancers, and diabetes.
Even if weight loss is tough, it is never impossible. Through the tips given below, anyone over the age of 55 can reduce weight:
- Reduce your calorie intake. After 50, you should consume lesser calories as already your metabolic system
is slow to burn them up. You need an amount of 1600-2200 calories a day after 51 if you are a woman, and 2000-2800 calories a day if you are a man.
- Do a 30 to 60 minute cardiovascular activity at least 4 times a week. These exercises can be walking, swimming, aerobic dancing, or yoga.
- Go to the gym and build some muscle with the help of a trainer. Muscles aid in burning calories, and it promotes the bone health, which leads to a lower risk of osteoporosis.
- Stay active, and start moving more. This will lead to burn of calories. Go out to see friends by foot rather than the car. Climb the stairs of your apartments instead of taking the elevator.
- Sleep enough as a lack of sleep is a reason behind weight gain at this age. You need at least 7-hours of sleep a day.