Curtains are a part of home accessories that complete the look of a neatly furnished house. Curtains provide a house with privacy, and they need to be elegant and stylish to compliment the home décor. For this reason, buy curtains or getting them made from stores is very expensive.
Although curtains look complicated to stitch, they are actually incredibly simple once you know the correct way to. Here is a look on how you can stitch curtains at home yourself:
- Ironing board
- Curtain fabric
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Curtain rod
- Curtain hooks
- Choose the curtain fabric according to the windows measurements you will take with the measuring tape.
- Cut the fabric according to the measurements of the window, keeping it at least 4-inches longer and wider than the measurements. This is because the sides and ends of the curtains will be hemmed.
- Turn the hems twice to make a fold of at least 3 to 4 inches and press an iron over the fabric folded.
- Now pin the hemmed areas to prepare the sides for being sewed onto.
- Begin stitching the hem of the curtain with the sewing machines and sew close to the fold.
- Press an iron over the newly stitched sides and edges of the curtain.
- Now you will have to make curtain pockets for the rod. To do this, you have to stitch a 3-inch wide cloth at the backside of the curtain. The boundaries of the stitching should overlap the stitching made for the finishing fabric.
- Fix hooks on the pocket area of the curtain that fit into the holding rings in the rod.