Founded in 1888, the Loyal Order of Moose is a fraternal organization that serves 1 million men and women in 2,400 Lodges approximately in the entire US and four provinces of Canada and Bermuda. It is engaged in many community charities, like Moosehaven (a Florida retirement community), and Mooseheart (a community for children and teenagers in need). To join the Moose Lodge and be a part of this organization, you have to be sponsored by one of its members.
You can also become a member by fitting the basic requirements:
- You have to be 21 years old (or older) to join.
- Belief in Supreme Being (without any specific religion).
- No link to terrorist organizations or subversive groups.
- No past felony or sex offence committed.
- No expulsion from other Moose lodges.
Once the form is filled, it has to be sent to the sponsor, who will give it for review to the committee. Here, if approved, the application is voted upon by the members of the lodge upon a meeting. If you make it into the group, you have to participate in service programs, which includes the Special Olympics, dances, sports, picnics, and charity events. You gain many discounts and facilities once you are a member of this lodge.