A porch with a roof can add more beauty to your home and be the perfect place to spend time with your friends and family. For sunny or rainy days, you can seek refuges under it and enjoy the weather. It is an expanded area of the house that lets one relax or cook at for family and friends. Building a porch with a roof yourself is a great way to save money and step to spend pleasurable evenings outside with a glass of lemonade in your hand.
Here is a guide on building a porch with a roof:
Things you will need
- 4, 4-foot lumber posts
- Decking boards
- Tar paper
- Metal angle iron
- Circular saw
- Electric screwdriver
- Foundation tubes
- Footing clamps
- Measuring tape
- Find a location for the covered porch. Determine the measurements you want according to your house and desire.
- Place the stakes so that the corners of the porch are marked.
- Find the main ledger board that is the main way of entering through into the house. Locate a point that is 3-inches beneath the door’s tread. Mark this with a pencil. Nail in a 2×10-inch board to the sill of this doorway.
- Now dig a footing to anchor in the porch. You will have to dig footing holes that are a foot wide and at least 44-inches deep. Mix the cement and sand and pour in water when you mix it until it firms. Place the foundation tubes then, which should be 3-feet in the holes. Transfer cement in the tubes with the shovel. Place the post anchors then in these footings so that they are in line with the ledger board.
- Arrange the deck and the joists. Do this one section at a time so that you construct a large porch that will be covered. Set the exterior porch boards, keeping them 16-inches apart from the center, and attach the joist hangers. Slide in the joists to place and nail them in the ground.
- You will now install the decking, by cutting the decking first and then laying them. Insert a nail in between each board to an equal spacing. Nail down a ready-made railing to the deck.
- Measure the covered porch and cut the support posts accordingly.
- Bolt in support beams for the roof of the porch onto the home’s framework.
- Lay down the framework of the porch in place and bolt it down with the support beams.
- Place the plywood and shingles for the roof.