As the age progresses and with the environmental changes going around, our body is getting affected by these factors, and so is our skin. Due to long exposure to the sun, the skin begins to form dark patches and spots on the skin, commonly known as brown spots or age spots. These spots are brown because of disposition of melanin, a pigment found in the upper skin, that causes it to clump and thus, produce spots that are darker in color.
The other common reason behind these aging spots could be a prolonged battle with disease or sickness, which gradually causes free radicals in the body to influence the body’s aging system. Stress, vitamin deficiency, poor diet, pregnancy, or weak liver functioning can also cause this skin problem.
Although there are many clinical treatments to remove age spots, most of them contain chemicals which are harmful for your health. Luckily, there are many home remedies to fade away these discoloring. Although it takes time for them to eliminate completely, patiently try these to gain satisfying results.
Lets look into these remedies that can be done at home using everyday products found in our kitchen cabinets.
- Because of its bleaching properties, lemon juice can help eliminate the age spots. Apply lemon juice on the affected area, or simply rub off half a lemon on the concerned area and leave it on for 20-30 min before washing. This remedy needs to be repeated twice a day for about six to eight weeks to get positive result.
- Apple cider vinegar is known for treatment for many problems, including age spots. Mix equal portions of apple cider vinegar and water and apply it on the spots. Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice can be mixed too and applied on the skin.
- Aloe Vera is rich in Vitamin C & E. It helps in skin regeneration and has healing properties too. Take aloe vera gel and gently rub on the skin and leave it on for 30 minutes before washing with cold water. Apply it twice every day for a month to see improved results.
- Some of the age spots are rough in nature and it requires something strong like castor oil which has antioxidants that helps and protects the skin. Dip a cotton ball on castor oil, apply on the affected area and massage gently. Leave it on for a few hours before washing with cold water. Consistent use of castor oil will fade the age spots away and make the skin tone even.
- Being an anti-aging agent, sandalwood helps reduce pigmentation of skin and helps to remove brown spots. Mix sandalwood powder with rose water in equal portions with a teaspoon each of glycerin and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the spots and let it dry naturally. Wash off with cold water. This should be repeated several times a week to see affirmative results.
- Buttermilk has lactic acid that helps in the exfoliation of the skin, helping it to clear and glow. Buttermilk should be applied to the affected skin for some time before washing away. A mixture of buttermilk and tomato juice can also be applied on skin to reduce the brown spots as well.
- Yogurt contains enzymes that break down melanin in skin and helps to remove the aging spots. Apply yogurt directly on skin and rub gently on the affected area. Let it dry completely before washing off with cool water. This yogurt mask also helps to improve skin texture.
- The pro tease enzymes in papaya helps break down the melanin into colorless smaller parts and thus help in the reduction of age spots. Raw Papaya should be scooped out and grated to apply on the spotted area. Wait for it to dry and then rinse off with cold water.
All these organic home remedies take time up to 6-8 weeks if applied regularly. However, if these remedies don’t work after two months then it’s better to consult a dermatologist and seek their help.
Has this article helped you? Did you find what you were looking for? Leave your thoughts and comments below to tell us about it. If you want to Learn How To do anything specifically, let us know and we will write on the subject to guide you. Our website is designed to teach our readers about all the basics of life and answer the questions on solving problems we get tangled in at home. So get in touch with us and share your thoughts and ideas in the comment box below!