A platform bed is different from other beds as it does not have a metal frame or a box spring. It comprises of a simple wooden platform and a mattress on top of the platform. Some designs may have side rails or headboard. If you are a novice furniture maker, you can easily manage building a platform bed on your own. Simply, follow the guide given below to see how you can:
- Measuring tape
- Drill machine
- Carpenter’s glue
- Deck screws
- Carpenter’s square
- Wood putty
- Wood stain (or paint)
- Medium density fiberboard
- Measure the mattress, as you will have to make the platform according to it. The bed will be 1-inch wider and 1-inch longer than the mattress. This means when the mattress will be on the platform bed, 1/2-inch of the platform will show on each side.
- Then, subtract 12-inches from the length of the mattress you drew out and also from the width. This will help in making the base of the bed, as it should be smaller than the platform you will make.
- Begin building. Start with the base of the bed by using the 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 feet boards.
- Cut the boards according to the size you have drawn out and arrange them for hte base by making a rectangular shape from them. You will also have to cut 2 cross piece borads for the center of the rectangle.
- Assemble the base then by drilling holes for the screws in the boards. Apply carpenter’s glue to the cut ends. This will seal all the joints. With the carpenter’s square, ensure all the boards are at a 90 degree angle.
- Now place short pieces of the board into the gaps and then screw them in place. This will stabilize the base.
- Cover the screw heads with the wood putty and stain the base. Let this dry.
- You will then assemble the platform over the base. The platform has to be 12-inches greater than the bed base.
- Next, set the platform on the base, and center it very carefully. Screw it to the base then at the points where the long boards are meeting the long boards of the platform. Use the deck screws with drilled pilot holes.
- Fit the fiberboard on top of the platform by applying the carpenter’s glue around the edges of the boards. Screw the sheet onto the platform.
- Apply some of the fiberboard to the unfinished edges to give a neat look.
- Let the glue dry, and then cover the screw heads with the wood putty. Stain over the the platform, and then set the mattress on top.