Have you ever built a solar oven to cook outside? Well, you can! And it is a very simple science project. All you need is a pizza box and a few tools to create a solar oven that is ecologically-friendly. Follow these instructions to build this fun science activity.
Things you will need
- Pizza box (made of cardboard)
- Aluminum foil
- Clear tape
- Scissors or box cutter
- Plastic wrap
- Pencil, or pen
- Black ground cover, or black construction paper
- Clean the pizza box and remove any stray bits of food from it.
- Draw a neat square with the pencil and ruler around the edges of the top of the box.
- Cut out three sides out of the four that you have drawn with the help of the box cutter.
- Bend to make a crease over the uncut side of this square now so that a flap is formed which can stand up.
- Cut out a piece of aluminum foil that can cover the inner side of the flap.
- Wrap this foil now tightly over it and secure it with the tape.
- Line the bottom of the box with the black construction paper.
- Now cut two pieces of the plastic wrap the same size as the top of the box.
- Secure the wrap with tape at the inner edges of the window you cut in the box.
- Fill any holes or gap with tape.
- Test the box by placing some food on a paper plate or aluminum foil in the square box inside, and place the box in sunlight. Leaving the lid slightly open to reflect the sunlight on the uncooked food.
- Enjoy your meal and solar oven.